Becoming a Camden Firefighter
The Camden Civil Service Commission has scheduled an open competition for the position of firefighter with the Camden Fire Department. The first portion of this competition — a written examination — will take place at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 15, 2020, at the Ouachita Valley Business & Technology Development Center, 625 Adams Avenue SE. Applicants who pass the written exam will conduct oral interviews and a physical agility test. Upon successful completion of all requirements, applicants will be placed on a hiring list that is valid for one year.
Applications will be accepted until 6:00 p.m. on Friday, August 7, 2020, and may be obtained at the Camden Fire Department-Central Station, 140 Van Buren Street NW; or by calling Central Station at (870) 836-2413. An application must be completed and turned into the department by the deadline to be eligible for testing.
A study guide for the written portion of the exam is available to purchase for $20.00 at the following website: Public Safety Compass
- Citizen of the United States.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Felony convictions are disqualifying.
- Must pass a physical agility exam.
- Must pass a thorough physical examination and drug screen.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass the firefighter entrance examination and be interviewed by the Civil Service Commission.
- Must successfully complete Firefighter Standards Course at the Arkansas Fire Training Academy within 12 months of employment.
- Starting base salary is $35,969, with an increase to $39,231 after one year.
- Educational incentive pay of up to 10 percent of base salary (based on college credit hours and degree).
- Certificate pay of up to 10 percent of base salary.
- Uniform allowance of $700 annually.
- Annual vacation (accrue 192 hours annually).
- Sick leave benefits (accrue 360 hours annually).
- Health and life insurance premiums for the employee, and majority of family coverage, are paid by the city of Camden.
- Excellent retirement benefits, including:
- Enrollment in the Arkansas Local Police and Fire Retirement System (LOPFI), a statewide defined-benefit retirement system.
- Optional enrollment in the State of Arkansas Deferred Compensation Plan, a tax-advantaged 457(b) retirement plan available to governmental employees.
The city of Camden is an equal opportunity employer.