Becoming a Camden Firefighter
The Camden Civil Service Commission has scheduled an open competition for the position of firefighter with the Camden Fire Department. The first portion of this competition — a written examination — will take place at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 24, 2020, at the Ouachita Valley Business & Technology Development Center, 625 Adams Avenue SE. Applicants who pass the written exam will conduct oral interviews and a physical agility test. Upon successful completion of all requirements, applicants will be placed on a hiring list that is valid for one year.
Applications will be accepted until 6:00 p.m. on Thursday, October 15, 2020, and may be obtained at the Camden Fire Department-Central Station, 140 Van Buren Street NW; or by calling Central Station at (870) 836-2413. An application must be completed and turned into the department by the deadline to be eligible for testing.
An orientation, information, and study session for potential new hires will be conducted on October 17, 2020. This session will discuss the testing and hiring process for the Camden Fire Department, provide an overview and study tips for the written exam, and provide potential applicants an opportunity to ask any questions. While this session is not mandatory, it is highly recommended that all applicants attend. A specific time and location will be given upon completion of each application. A study guide for self-review for the written portion of the exam is available to purchase for $20.00 at the following website: Public Safety Compass
- Citizen of the United States.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Felony convictions are disqualifying.
- Must pass a physical agility exam.
- Must pass a thorough physical examination and drug screen.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass the firefighter entrance examination and be interviewed by the Civil Service Commission.
- Must successfully complete Firefighter Standards Course at the Arkansas Fire Training Academy within 12 months of employment.
- Starting base salary is $35,969, with an increase to $39,231 after one year.
- Educational incentive pay of up to 10 percent of base salary (based on college credit hours and degree).
- Certificate pay of up to 10 percent of base salary.
- Uniform allowance of $700 annually.
- Annual vacation (accrue 192 hours annually).
- Sick leave benefits (accrue 360 hours annually).
- Health and life insurance premiums for the employee, and majority of family coverage, are paid by the city of Camden.
- Excellent retirement benefits, including:
- Enrollment in the Arkansas Local Police and Fire Retirement System (LOPFI), a statewide defined-benefit retirement system.
- Optional enrollment in the State of Arkansas Deferred Compensation Plan, a tax-advantaged 457(b) retirement plan available to governmental employees.
The city of Camden is an equal opportunity employer.