Becoming a Camden Firefighter
The Camden Civil Service Commission will conduct an open, competitive examination for the position of firefighter at 8:00 a.m. on Saturday, August 17, 2019. The exam will be held in the Training Room of the Camden Police Department, 1 Police Drive. Upon successful completion of a written exam, physical agility test, and oral interviews, applicants are placed on a hiring list that is valid for one year.
Applications will be accepted until 5:00 p.m. on Friday, August 9, 2019, and may be picked up at the Camden Fire Department, 140 Van Buren Avenue NW; at City Hall, 206 Van Buren Avenue NE; or by calling City Clerk Donna Stewart at (870) 836-6436.
- Citizen of the United States.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Felony convictions are disqualifying.
- Must pass a physical agility exam.
- Must pass a thorough physical examination and drug screen.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass the firefighter entrance examination and be interviewed by the Civil Service Commission.
- Must successfully complete Firefighter Standards Course at the Arkansas Fire Training Academy within 12 months of employment.
- Starting salary range is $34,000-$38,000 after first year, commensurate with education.
- Uniform allowance of $700 annually.
- Educational incentive pay of up to 10 percent of base salary (based on college credit hours and degree).
- Certificate pay of up to 10 percent of base salary.
- Annual vacation (accrue 192 hours of vacation leave annually after first year).
- Sick leave benefits (accrue 360 hours annually).
- Health and life insurance premiums for the employee and majority of family coverage are paid by the city of Camden.
- Excellent retirement benefits, including:
- Enrollment in the Arkansas Local Police and Fire Retirement System (LOPFI), a statewide defined-benefit retirement system.
- Optional enrollment in the State of Arkansas Deferred Compensation Plan, a tax-advantaged 457(b) retirement plan available to governmental employees.
The city of Camden is an equal opportunity employer.