Want to become a firefighter? Fill out this online interest card, and we will contact you when the next hiring cycle begins.
Becoming a Camden Firefighter
The Camden Civil Service Commission normally conducts competitive tests for the position of firefighter twice each year, in April and October, and may also hold special testing dates as the need arises. Upon successful completion of a written exam, physical agility test, and oral interviews, applicants are placed on a hiring list that is valid for one year.
While applications are being accepted, there are currently no scheduled dates for exams. Please check back later for updates on the next testing date.
Applications may be picked up at the Camden Fire Department - Central Station, 140 Van Buren Avenue NW. For more information, please stop by Central Station, or call Sharron Ekpe, Fire Department Administrative Assistant, Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m.
A study guide for the written portion of the exam is available to purchase for $20.00 at the following website: Public Safety Compass
- Citizen of the United States.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Be between the ages of 18 and 35.
- Felony convictions are disqualifying.
- Must pass a physical agility exam.
- Must pass a thorough physical examination and drug screen.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass the firefighter entrance examination and be interviewed by the Civil Service Commission.
- Must successfully complete Firefighter Standards Course at the Arkansas Fire Training Academy within 12 months of employment.
- Starting base salary is $35,969, with an increase to $39,231 after one year.
- Educational incentive pay of up to 10 percent of base salary (based on college credit hours and degree).
- Certificate pay of up to 10 percent of base salary.
- Uniform allowance of $700 annually.
- Annual vacation (accrue 192 hours annually).
- Sick leave benefits (accrue 360 hours annually).
- Health and life insurance premiums for the employee, and majority of family coverage, are paid by the city of Camden.
- Excellent retirement benefits, including:
- Enrollment in the Arkansas Local Police and Fire Retirement System (LOPFI), a statewide defined-benefit retirement system.
- Optional enrollment in the State of Arkansas Deferred Compensation Plan, a tax-advantaged 457(b) retirement plan available to governmental employees.
The city of Camden is an equal opportunity employer.