Becoming a Camden Firefighter
The Camden Civil Service Commission normally conducts open competitive examinations twice each year, in April and October, and may also hold special testing dates as the need arises. Upon successful completion of a written exam, physical agility test, and oral interviews, applicants are placed on a hiring list that is valid for one year.
There are currently no scheduled dates for exams. Please check back soon for updates on the next testing date.
- Citizen of the United States.
- High School graduate or GED equivalent.
- Be between the ages of 21 and 35.
- Felony convictions are disqualifying.
- Must pass a physical agility exam.
- Must pass a thorough physical examination and drug screen.
- Pass a thorough background investigation.
- Must pass Firefighter entrance examination and be interviewed by the Civil Service Commission.
- Must successfully complete Firefighter Standards Course at the Arkansas Fire Training Academy within 12 months of employment.
- Starting salary range is $30,700-$33,400 after first year.
- Uniform allowance of $600 annually.
- Educational Incentive Pay of up to 10 percent of base salary (based on college credit hours).
- Certificate Pay up to 10 percent of base salary.
- Annual vacation (accrue 192 hours vacation leave annually after first year).
- Sick leave benefits (accrue 360 hours annually).
- Health and life insurance premiums for the employee and majority of family coverage are paid by the city of Camden.
- Excellent retirement benefits.
The city of Camden is an equal opportunity employer.